Choosing the best whitening toothpaste can be a tricky job, mainly for two reasons: firstly, every one of us has unique characteristics and needs based on them, as long as it comes to oral hygiene; secondly, there are so many different kinds of toothpaste available in the market that it gets difficult to choose any one amongst all of them.
To make a well-informed decision while choosing your toothpaste, you need to know the various elements in toothpaste and their functions. Various toothpaste claims to have various specializations like teeth whitening, bad breath removal, cavity-protection and many more. To choose the best whitening toothpaste, you need to identify your particular needs and then look for their solutions from the available options.
The function of the best whitening toothpaste is not just to whiten the teeth but also to clean it and give the mouth a fresh feel. We will discuss in detail the various functions of the particular elements in whitening toothpaste to give you a better idea about how they work. But of course if you are looking for professional whitening services, be sure to pay a visit to the Dentist in Grand blanc instead.
Ingredients of Best Whitening Toothpaste
Many people often wonder about the compositions of toothpaste. It is a very natural concern that one must be aware of what they are using as a consumer. Without any delay, let us discuss the ingredients of common toothpaste that give the best whitening results. Here are the common ingredients that you will find in most toothpaste:
1. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
This is an active detergent agent found in most toothpaste. This ingredient is the cause of bubbly foam that forms while brushing your teeth. SLS causes mouth irritation and ulcers.
Sorbitol is a sugar substitute that is used in toothpaste for flavoring purposes. It also acts as glue along with Glycerol and helps to hold the toothpaste together.
3. Calcium Carbonate
This is the active whitening agent in toothpaste that helps to clean debris, plaque, and stains from teeth and gums.
Fluoride is the key ingredient of toothpaste. It helps to make your enamel strong and fights tooth decay and helps in resisting pollution.
Glycerol or glycerin prevents the toothpaste from drying out. It gives a slimy and consistent texture.
How Does It Work?
Let us further discuss how these ingredients work in toothpaste. Abrasives present in toothpaste help to lighten the shade of your teeth. Many types of toothpaste contain added whitening agents that will remove tough stains and help to make your teeth shine more than your average toothpaste.
There are mostly two ingredients added in whitening toothpaste. They are hydrogen peroxide and carbamide peroxide. These agents will help your teeth lighten its dark color from deep within. It will make your teeth look whiter and brighter by one or more than one shade. However, other medicated kinds of toothpaste are available only via a dentist’s prescription. These toothpaste will make your teeth lighter by about seven or more than seven shades.
Harmful Effects of Fluoride in Toothpaste
Fluoride is the most important ingredient in the best whitening toothpaste. However, you cannot overlook the harmful effects fluoride can have on your neurological health. Most companies do not even talk about this while they are advertising for their brands.
Fluoride is a trace mineral and when taken in sufficient amounts can drastically affect your neurological and nervous system. It is a well-known neurotoxin that is present in water and also added to toothpaste and many products. Here are the most harmful ways fluoride affects your brain:
1. Helps Aluminum to enter the brain
The effect of aluminum on our brain came into light when studies revealed that people suffering from Alzheimer’s had a higher concentration of aluminum in their brains. The blood-brain barrier is a membrane that is designed to keep foreign substances out from your brain. When fluoride makes contact with aluminum it becomes aluminum fluoride and bypasses the barrier. In this way, fluoride helps aluminum to enter our brain and cause neurological disorders.
2. Developmental Neurotoxin
Fluoride is also known as a developmental neurotoxin. This means when fluoride is taken in the early stages of development like childhood. It affects the brain, spinal cord, and the nervous system in many ways. Fluoride is strongly linked with ADHD, Alzheimer’s and other behavioral disorders.
3. Degeneration of Nervous System
As the regular dosage of fluoride helps it to bypass the blood-brain barrier, it starts causing alterations to different sections of your brain. The effects become evident when you suffer from memory loss, emotional regulation or simple things like unable to coordinate or balance yourself. Fluoride does not stop there and continues to harm the spinal cord and the central nervous system.
4. Linked to depression
Fluoride is an active ingredient in most anti-depressants. There are many studies and shreds of evidence that show the connection between fluoride and depression. If you are currently taking anti-depressants containing fluoride, please consult another mental health professional fro fluoride-free drugs and medications.
5. Increases risks of behavioral and neurological diseases
After much evidence of fluoride connecting to mental health problems is coming to light, more studies are concluding that fluoride is connected to almost all of the metal disorders people suffer from.
Best Whitening Toothpaste for Smokers
Smoking causes a particular kind of stain and discoloring of teeth, which is hard to resolve. Here is a list of toothpaste brands that manufacture the kind of toothpaste you are looking for if you are a smoker:
1. Cali White Vegan Whitening Toothpaste
This toothpaste is perfect for smokers and is completely organic. It contains Vitamin B12, organic mint and natural whitener that not only protects the mouth from bad breath but also promotes whitening with natural ingredients. This toothpaste contains no fluoride and therefore is one of the best options for smokers.
2. Hello Oral Care Extra Whitening Fluoride Toothpaste
Though this toothpaste contains fluoride, it is one of the best agents for removing stains caused due to smoking. It contains no peroxide or artificial sweeteners. The extract of pure mint helps to freshen the breath, whereas the activated fluoride accelerates the process of teeth whitening.
3. Red Sear Natural Smokers Toothpaste
This toothpaste is aided with a strong stain-removing formula that is extremely useful for people struggling with tobacco stains on their teeth. It also a very good mouth freshener and is ideal for people who smoke.
4. Pearl Drops Smokers Stain Removing Whitening Gel Toothpaste
This toothpaste also has been designed keeping in mind the needs and requirements of the people who smoke. It is gel-based and works best on nicotine-stained yellow teeth.
5. Apagard Smokin’ Toothpaste
This toothpaste is also targeted towards attracting smokers. Its whitening elements are designed to work on nicotine patches on the teeth. It is the first nanohydroxyapatite remineralizing toothpaste that maintains the teeth’s mineral balance.
6. TheraBreath Plus Maximum-Strength Toothpaste
This toothpaste is recommended by many experts and works as well as a medicated toothpaste. Its strong stain removing agents work like magic on stained teeth.
Whitening Toothpaste That Works
It is true that there are a plethora of options available in the market when it comes to the best whitening toothpaste. But, how do you know if particular toothpaste actually works? Here we will help you with a list of selected 5 toothpaste brands that can actually bring a difference to your teeth.
1. Opalescence Whitening Toothpaste
This toothpaste contains a unique tri-silica blend that helps in whitening teeth much faster than other kinds of toothpaste. It was first developed by a dentist and is, therefore, a very reliable option for most users. You can use it every day and makes the color of your teeth two shades lighter in just one month.
2. Crest 3D White Fluoride Anticavity Toothpaste
This is one of the best toothpaste for removing surface stains from your teeth. It will visibly start whitening your teeth within a week’s use. It strengthens the teeth’s enamel and offers protection against cavities.
3. Tom’s of Maine Anti-plaque and Whitening Fluoride-Free Toothpaste
This toothpaste should definitely work on the stains of teeth as it includes completely natural products and resources. It contains no fluoride and uses natural ingredients instead to remove the nicotine stains from the teeth of smokers.
4. Sensodyne 24/7 Sensitivity Protection Extra Whitening Toothpaste
This toothpaste is widely used by people with sensitivity problems in their teeth. It is also one of the best whitening agents that provide all-round care to your teeth. It has a refreshing flavor and you can use it to brush thrice a day.
5. Arm and Hammer Advance White Extreme Whitening Baking Soda and Peroxide Toothpaste
This toothpaste works on nicotine tainted teeth. It comes with strong stain removing agents like baking soda and peroxide.
Best Whitening Toothpaste Walmart
- Walmart is the easiest shopping destination for the best whitening toothpaste as it has a large variety. Some of the whitening toothpaste that is available in Walmart are:
- Crest + Scope Complete Whitening Toothpaste, Minty Fresh
- Sensodyne Sensitivity Toothpaste, Extra Whitening, for Sensitive Teeth, 24/7 Protection
- Colgate Optic White Whitening Toothpaste, Sparkling White
- Crest 3D White Brilliance Vibrant Peppermint Toothpaste
- Sensodyne Sensitivity Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth, Complete Protection, Extra Fresh
- Sensodyne Pronamel Gentle Whitening Fluoride Toothpaste to Strengthen and Protect Enamel
- Arm & Hammer Advance White Extreme Whitening with Stain Defense, Fresh Mint
- Equate Maximum Strength Sensitive Extra Whitening Toothpaste with Fluoride
- Parodontax Bleeding Gums Toothpaste, Teeth Whitening
- Aquafresh Extreme Clean Mint Blast Fluoride Toothpaste
- Tom’s of Maine Antiplaque & Whitening Toothpaste
- Tom’s of Maine Antiplaque & Whitening Fluoride-Free Toothpaste
- Arm & Hammer Sensitive Teeth & Gums Toothpaste
- Colgate Sensitive Toothpaste, Whitening – Fresh Mint Gel Formula
- Colgate Max Clean with Whitening Foaming Toothpaste, Effervescent Mint
- Tom’s Of Maine Cavity Protection Fluoride Toothpaste Spearmint
- Arm & Hammer Complete Care Toothpaste
- Sensodyne Tartar Control plus Whitening Fluoride Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth
- Luster Power White Pro Deep Stain Eraser Anticavity Fluoride, Enamel-Safe & Effective Professional Teeth Whitening Toothpaste, Mint
- Tom’s Of Maine Botanically Bright Toothpaste, Spearmint
Best Whitening Toothpaste and Mouthwash
People, who are looking for a toothpaste that can remove their yellow stains from their teeth, need to get hold of good whitening toothpaste and mouthwash that has been specially built for whitening teeth. Complementing whitening toothpaste with whitening mouthwashes can be a great way to accelerate the process of stain removal. Here is a list of whitening mouthwashes that can be used for best whitening results:
- Zinda Naturals Black Oil Mouthwash & Oral Pulling Oil
It contains Avocado oil and prevents stains, tooth decay, and bad breath.
- Reach Complete Care 8-in-1 Plus Whitening Mouth Rinse
Whitens teeth and provides strong protection against cavities and unwanted marks.
- Listerine Healthy White Gentle Anti-Cavity Mouthwash
This contains extracts of mint, which gives a fresh flavor and protects the teeth from cavities.
- Best Whitening pre-Brush Oral Rinse
Produced by Bee Naturals, the mouthwash contains Xylitol that whitens teeth naturally.
- Oral Essentials Teeth Whitening Mouthwash
This is best for sensitive teeth as it does not contain any alcohol, sugar, color dyes or bleach.
- Super-Smile Whitening Pre-Rinse
This helps in restoring the whiteness of the teeth without the use of harmful chemicals or bleaching materials.
- Crest Pro-Health Advanced Mouthwash
This contains extra whitening elements and gives you an energizing flavor to start your day with.
- Crest 3D White Luxe Glamorous White Mouthwash
The Whitelock technology protects your teeth from stains like nicotine stains.
- Oil Pulling Coconut Oil Mouthwash
This mouthwash detoxifies the teeth and gums and leaves you with a pleasant taste.
- Rembrandt Deeply White Whitening Mouthwash
This starts working within two hours of use. It specializes in protecting the enamel of your teeth and getting rid of stains.