Our respiratory system is mainly made up of several tracts and pipes and the uppermost section includes the throat and nose. When this particular part of the respiratory system is infected, you are likely to experience a viral infection resulting in common cold and cough. From ancient times, we have heard of natural remedies to cure a cold and cough. However, when it comes to over the counter medicines, one name that has been trending over time is, of course, Bromfed dm cough syrup. It is like the one-stop solution for a dry and wet cough that is both frustrating and embarrassing.
A common fact that you must be aware of is that children, especially infants are more prone to viral infections that result in cold and cough. However, any normal and healthy adult is most likely to experience a common cold at least twice or thrice in a year. It takes a maximum of a week or 10 days to recover from the common flu except if you are into smoking. It could take comparatively longer to recover in that case. In case, there is an exception and the cold lasts longer than expected, you must immediately seek expert help.
Symptoms of common cough and cold
Before deciding whether you should self-prescribe medicines such as Bromfed dm cough syrup, you must make sure that your doctor approves of it. To get an idea of that, you must get your symptoms tested. The main symptoms of the common flu usually show a couple of days after you are already affected by a virus. Also, the symptoms may vary from one person to another. The most common ones are listed for you to check out.
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Malaise or feeling unwell
- Sore throat
- Low fever throughout
- Headache and body ache
Do not worry if your nose discharge thickens and changes color from white to yellow-green. It is just a normal course of the flu and not any bacterial infection at all.
When should you visit a doctor?
You mustn’t ignore ailments for longer than a week, even if it is just the flu. As said earlier, the flu takes about 7-10 days to cure and there is every reason that you visit a doctor if the span exceeds. The doctor may in-turn prescribe you remedies and decongestants or medicines such as Bromfed dm cough syrup to cure your infection. In other cases, he will prescribe tests for further diagnosis.
Still, if you want a detailed suggestion about when you should visit the doctor, here we have a chart for you.
You must visit a doctor if you experience the following symptoms.
- Fever that goes higher than 38.5 C or 101.3 F
- Serious sore throat, sinusitis or headache
- Fever that lasts for over 5-6 days or frequent rise in body temperature
The advantage with children is that they hardly require medical attention in case of a normal cold. However, you may take them for a check-up in case of the following symptoms.
- Fever that reaches 38 C or 100.4 F and lasts for more than 10 days
- Loss of appetite
- Fever rising continuously for more than 2 days
- Drowsiness at odd hours of the day
- If no medicine improves the health condition
- Becoming fussy
Medicines for cough and cold
You must obey what is written in the doctor’s prescription even for common flu. Otherwise, if you feel like you want to try over the counter drugs, you may do so, but only after reading and knowing about them. For example, you may read about Bromfed dm reviews widely over the internet and finally decide whether you should consume it or not.
Talking about symptoms of a common cold, we have already read about them. For example, the most common symptoms include a stuffy nose, common illness or coughing. Now, the question is what you can do as a remedy for this. Apart from resting properly and drinking lots of fresh juices and water, there are medicines such as Bromfed dm cough syrup that will ease your problem. There are various medicines for common cold and flu and they also have different purposes. For example,
- To get rid of a stuffy nose, you require nasal decongestants.
- There are a variety of pain relievers to soothe your body and headaches that are common results of influenza.
- Bromfed dm high to suppress coughs
- Try Antihistamines such as sneezing or a runny nose
- Tough mucus calls for good Expectorants
A caution for you is that you must read the medicine labels carefully when you want to take medicine. The fact is that most of the medicines consumed for cough and cold are almost made up of the same or similar ingredients. They just sell under different names. Also, be careful not to overconsume any medicine or pain killers as they are bad for health. It is better that you do not give cough or cold medicines or aspirins to children below the age of four. Also, antibiotics are of no help in case of cold and flu.
Causes and risk factors of the common cold
Several viruses may become the reason for influenza out of which the rhinoviruses are the worst. Usually, a cold virus enters the body via the mouth, nose or eyes, but there are other ways of communication too. it may also happen that a person already affected with cold coughs, talks or sneezes. In that case, the virus coming out of their mouth and breath may convert into water droplets and finally enter your body.
Other unusual means of communication include shaking hands with an infected person or sharing contaminated things. For example, sharing utensils, telephones, towels and more can become major communication media via which virus may enter your body. You might get infected if you touch your eyes, mouth or nose after using such objects.
The following factors are more likely to make you prone to influenza.
- Age- The fact is children are more likely to get infected by a common cough and cold rather than adults. Especially, infants are at the maximum risk of influenza. Often, children who spend their time at child-care or a creche setting may develop such ailments.
- Weak immune system- If you are more prone to chronic illnesses due to immunity issues, the common cold is going to be your best friend forever. Try using medicines such as Bromfed dm cough syrup if the cough persists for more than 5-6 days.
- Season- Although you can get affected by cold at any time of the year, the Winter and Fall are worse times of the year.
- Exposure- In cases where you are amongst a lot of people, you are more likely to develop viral infections and allergies such as common cough and cold.
- Smoking- Smoking is injurious to health and it is also a reason that stops you from healing from symptoms of cough and cold.
The complications that follow
- Otitis media or severe ear infection may occur if the back of your eardrum gets affected by cold-causing bacteria and viruses. The most common symptoms, in this case, include acute earache and green-yellow discharge from the nose. Frequent fevers are also a common effect of Otitis media.
- Asthma attacks are common outcomes of a seasonal cough and cold.
- People with Sinusitis suffer tremendous pain if they are affected by influenza.
- The other major ailments that may follow a common cough and cold include pharyngitis, bronchiolitis, pneumonia and more.
Are there any preventive measures?
There are several measures to prevent symptoms of cough and cold besides consuming medicines such as Bromfed dm cough syrup. They are-
- You must wash and clean your hands with at least water and soap before a meal or as soon as you get home from outside. The best alternative to a water and soap solution is an alcoholic handwash. Also, set examples for your children and make sure everyone uses a sanitizer when they step out of the home.
- Using disinfectants while cleaning the floors and kitchen tops are extremely necessary. The toilets and bathrooms must be cleaned regularly too. Moreover, what we often miss is cleaning children’s toys. Remember, it makes a lot of difference.
- Use tissues whenever you are sneezing.
- Don’t share objects such as utensils, soaps, towels, glasses and so on with other people including family members. It is not being rude, but showing smartness and concern.
- Try to keep a fair distance from someone who is suffering from cold. It is highly contagious.
- Make sure you do thorough research before choosing a creche or a child-care.
- Eat healthy and fresh fruits, exercise and sleep well. Keeping away stress and fatigue will help you stay strong and healthy.
Analyzing Bromfed dm cough syrup for you
The Bromfed dm ingredients are mainly used to treat cough and cold symptoms such as allergies, high fever, body and headache, sinus problems and more. Other major issues such as bronchitis, pharyngitis and more can also be treated with Bromfed dm cough syrup if they are at the primary stages.
Any cough syrup, in general, has a highly concentrated level of a cough suppressant that is called Dextromethorphan in medical terms. It works on a particular section of your brain and controls the urge to cough frequently. Other ingredients such as normal decongestants help to clear a runny and stuffy nose. On the other hand, Antihistamines in the medicine will relieve your itching and pain problems that occur due to cough and cold.
You must be aware of the fact that even doctors do not prefer cold and cough medicines for infants below the age of 6-7 years. So, you must not use any medicine similar to Bromfed dm to treat flu symptoms in children unless a good doctor prescribes it. There are Bromfed capsules or tablets are even stronger and not recommended for consumption for children below 12 years. also, keep such medicines out of reach of children as they can prove to be hazardous if consumed in an incorrect quantity.
The unfortunate part is all cough syrups are actually for temporary effects and do not cause long-term advantages. Instead, strong cough syrups may even cause harmful side-effects. Therefore, it is of utmost importance that you only consume such medicines according to a doctor’s prescription. In that way, the chances of overconsumption or incorrect dosage reduce. Many times, a pharmacist may convince us to buy a similar cough syrup if the one mentioned in the prescription is not available. Make sure you refrain from getting convinced and purchase only what is prescribed.
It is easier to consume Bomfred dm cough syrup in comparison to Bomfred capsules. Make sure you read the label for proper instructions or follow any special suggestions given by the doctor. It is not always necessary that you have to take the medicine before or after a meal. Also, you may dilute the cough syrup in a cup of warm water or milk to make it more soothing and effective. Make sure, you are following the correct dosage that is usually measurable with the help of the plastic cap that comes with a syrup bottle.
Do not also forget to shake the bottle well before using the contents. There are chewable forms of decongestants and cough suppressants that are widely available too. Besides, you will get cough remedies in fancy forms such as sweet lozenges as well. For these, you must keep them in your mouth till they melt or chew them well before swallowing. It completely varies on product instructions that are available on the back of the pack. Nowadays, children love to have flavored lozenges that also heal coughs and sore throat. Such toffee medicines are widely available in lemon, orange, ginger, honey, and other similar flavors.
We have been using several cough syrups over the years besides all the extremely effective home remedies. Now you know all the pros and cons of using branded syrups. It will help you be cautious the next time you or a family member is suffering from a common cough and cold.