The objective and goal of each and every hospital are to save as many lives possible. It might range in service and size, from a very small unit offering low-risk treatments and general care to that of specialized large centers that offers experimental, dramatic therapies. However, there are few factors that might limit the person’s choice which could be beyond his/her control, including the type of facilities offered, physician’s hospital affiliation and insurance coverage. Visiting the top 10 hospitals in India can help to get relief from the issues and symptoms suffered from.
Know the possible dangers
Prior to selecting any hospital to undergo treatment, it is essential to know the common dangers. There are few hospital hazards faced like unexpected drug reactions, unnecessary operations, hospital-borne infections and fatal or harmful blunders committed by doctors. According to reports, there are three areas identified, where hospitals, staff, and the general healthcare system is found to fall short, like an inappropriate or unnecessary use of care (excessive antibiotics), underused effective care (very fewer Pap smears or immunizations) and shortcomings in interpersonal and technical skills. But the single greatest danger presented by the hospital is an infection that can be prevented.
How patients can avail safe and proper healthcare?
It is necessary to follow the given below guidelines:
- If there is a choice of hospitals, then find out their accreditation status. Regular inspection is carried out in hospitals to comply with federal standards.
- Prior to selecting a hospital, determine the type of accommodation desired. Is the choice of a single room, along with a roommate, a special diet and other specific requirements?
- The person needs to know about his/her rights as a patient. Information in booklet form should be provided by hospitals to include patients; bill of right. Through the booklet, the information should be derived by the patient about rights to considerate, on drugs, tests, and procedures, courtesy, dignity, respect, and freedom to make decisions, including when to exit the hospital.
- There is a genuine need to take well informed and adequately researched decisions. Prior to authorizing any type of procedure, it is essential for the patients to be properly informed with regards to their existing medical condition, available treatment options, the prognosis of condition, expected risks and the in-charge staff’s name providing treatment. it is referred to as informed consent. Hospitals do not require obtained informed consent on cases that involve any life-threatening emergencies, compliance with a court order or law and unconscious patients as no relatives present, like sexually transmitted disease evaluation, etc. It is always advisable to first go through the consent form thoroughly prior to signing it and understand what is mentioned in it. If more information is desired, then the hospital staff’s assistance should be sought. If feeling skeptical, postpone the procedure to discuss the issue with the doctor.
- The non-verbal authorization may be given for any medical procedure like appearance at the doctor’s clinic for advanced treatment, cooperation at the time of test administration or failure in objecting especially when the refusal of consent is possible. It is referred to as implied consent.
- It is equally crucial to weigh all risks associated with x-ray evaluation, lab tests and drug therapy and knows their benefits. When treatments or tests are prescribed, possible risks, their purpose and possible actions need to be known to find out if something can go wrong. For instance, ingestion or injection of x-ray dyes can make visible the body structure and facilitate immensely ability of the physician to rectify the diagnosis. But, an allergic reaction may be caused by dyes which might range from circulatory collapse to skin rash and even subsequent death. Hence, it becomes crucial to enquire about the prescribed drugs. Drugs including sleeping and pain medication are better avoided unless their benefits and associated hazards are fully understood.
- If surgery is scheduled, it is essential to prepare mentally for anesthesia. General anesthesia, in rare cases, may cause brain damage or even death. Vomiting when the unconscious is one such catastrophe. For eliminating the risks, drink or food offered by mistake within the 8 hours of scheduled surgery should be refused.
The best hospitals in India do boast of having the best doctors and staff who are dedicated to providing quality treatment to patients suffering from various ailments.