If you’ve watched the movie Liz Diamond, you’d know who is Joanne Walley. The English actress rose to fame because of this film and then entered the British crime movie 44 Inch Chest. The lady along with the cast had won San Diego Film Critics Society Award for the Best Ensemble Performance for the movie. She was also seen in several TV productions all through the acting career that started early in 1974. Here, we will discuss about the life of Joanne Whalley because certainly, by now you’ve taken interest in her.
The Joanne Whalley movies and tv shows also brought characters like Marjorie Dawson/Sarah Hughes. You should also catch up with Vanozza Cattaneo and Claudia, to know her better. Also, add A.D. The Bible Continues to complete the list of watching her onscreen.
To date, Joanne Whalley has acted in more than 30 films. To name some more, we have to add, Dance with a Stranger, Scandal, A Good Man in Africa, and Willow. She got nominated at Monte-Carlo TV Festival under the Best Actress Golden Nymph Award for her character in The Borgias – it was by far, one of her most impressive performances. For a short period of time, she was also into music but then diverted herself entirely into acting.
Getting to Joanne Whalley
Joanne was born on 25th August, 1961, in Salford, Lancashire. Her schooling was from Bredbury Comprehensive School and she grew up at Stockport, Cheshire. She went to Braeside School of Speech and Drama because she was interested in this field from childhood. Today, she is an established actress today and the Joanne Whalley net worth 2019 stands as $1 million. Let us find out how she earned herself all the fame and money.
Joanne Whalley TV career
- The actress started her acting career from television and her first role was in an English soap opera named Coronation Street. The time was around mid-70s, and she was prett young to get into showbiz. Later, she was seen in Crown Court and then Emmerdale Farm.
- While playing Marjorie Dawson and Sarah Hughes, in How We Used to Live, she got a lot of attention and appreciation from the viewers. Her television films and shows like Coming Home, Omnibus, A Christmas Carol, and A Kind of Loving
- In the year 1985, Joanne was roped in for Emma Craven for the British series Edge of Darkness. She was there in five episodes, but that was enough to catch the eyes of the critics for a powerful characterization.
- Joanne Whalley then appeared in Nurse Mills and The Singing Detective in the year 1986. She later played the lead in the miniseries of Scarlett. Later, she was a part of the Jackie Bouvier Kennedy Onassis
- Whalley took a break from TV after these but did a few small characters before she was seen in Gossip Girl.
- In 2010, her role in The Borgias gave her the credit she always deserved. She was a part of 25 episodes and played the lead from 2011 to 2013.
- In 2015, she landed a big role in D. The Bible Continues. Her character Claudia was a part of 12 episodes.
- Later, she reappeared in ITV fantasy series of Beowulf: Return to the Shieldlands
Joanne Whalley Film Career
- The actress made her big screen debut in 1982 with Pink Floyd—The Wall. She was then a part of more than 30 films all through her career. The second movie she did was Dance with a Stranger and the British tragic film was one of the most recognized performances.
- She also appeared in the fantasy film by Ron Howard named Willow. She was later signed in for The movie revolved around an affair that involved British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan. Joanne played the role of Christine Keeler.
- After doing movies like Navy SEALs, Kill Me Again, Shattered and The Big Man, she was a part of a Storyville directed by Mark Frost. A 1993 drama movie, named The Secret Rapture got her more fame.
- Whalley was later seen in movies like A Good Man in Africa, Mother’s Boys, Before You Go, Flood, and The Man Who Knew Too Little.
- Her 2009 movie, 44 Inch Chest got a lot of critically acclaim – it was also the first movie of Malcolm Venville as a director. She, along with the entire cast won Best Ensemble award.
Major Works by Joanne Whalley
- Joanne’s role as Emma Craven in political drama, Edge of Darkness is a highlight of the career. The series only includes six episodes that was almost an hour long each. Her acting got her nominated at BAFTA TV Awards as the Best Actress.
- Whalley played the role of historical personality Giovanna dei Cattanei in The Borgias. For this, Whalley was nominated under the Outstanding Actress in Drama Series at Monte-Carlo TV Festival. People still talk about her performance that gave her all the fame and recognition she deserved.
Joanne Whalley Personal Life
Whalley is married to Val Kilmer, who is also an actor. They tied the knot in 1988 and it was also the year they had met each other on the sets of Willow. They are parents of two children – Mercedes Kilmer and Jack Kilmer. However, the coupled ended the marriage in 1995 due to differences.
Joanne Whalley Net Worth
Joanne had started working on TV from a very young age and has made a great fortune for herself over the years. Today, she is 58 years old and has lots of assets. Her net worth is calculated to be somewhere between $1 million to $5 million. Most of Joanne’s earning come from acting in movies now. She will continue to do so and we hope she is in good health to manifest more towards her talents.