Biofeedback therapy encumbers a cluster of electrical sensors connected to the body to induce positive impacts. This approach empowers people to regulate their bodily functions and heart rate. The sensors are media to receive input regarding one’s body.
Biofeedback therapy aids people in changing their body responses and relaxes their muscles in return. The rationale of the therapy is to diminish pain in distinct parts of the body.
Doctors connect electrodes to particular body parts to discern the heart rate, blood pressure, and other functions of the body. There is a monitor that allows people to see these different statistics. By witnessing this, a sufferer may feel further in control of themselves. They typically make the usage of this therapy for high blood pressure, migraines, chronic pain, and urinary incontinence.
TYPES OF BIOFEEDBACK THERAPY
The technique depends on the intent of the therapy. They adopt various approaches depending on the individual health condition of a patient. These include:
1) Electroencephalogram (EEG): This procedure throws light on the brain activity of a person. It may exhibit mental states such as wakefulness, mitigation, tranquillity, light sleep, and deep sleep. They also refer to this process as neurofeedback.
2) Electromyogram (EMG): This strategy discerns a person’s muscle tension. The electrodes or other sensors can measure muscle activity. By observing the screen, an individual can instantly recognize what is sparking an aura of unease and can accordingly contain it better.
3) Galvanic skin response training: This necessitates sensors that measure the movement of sweat glands in an individual. The extent of sweat released is a direct implication of their anxiety. It can benefit from treating obsessions, panic, and stammering.
4) Temperature feedback: Makes a note of the ongoing temperature of the skin. A drop in temperature results from stress, hence suggesting the usage of relaxation techniques. Temperature biofeedback benefits in treating peculiar circulatory disorders. Such as Raynaud’s disease or lessen the frequency of migraine.
5) Doctors may likewise employ different relaxation exercises to mitigate stress. Deep breathing is one of them. Progressive muscle relaxation aids in assuaging disparate muscle groups. Guided imagery is focused on a soothing picture being offered that enables patients to pacify themselves. Mindfulness and meditation are instrumental tools as they constrain negative emotions from arising.
They can perform the process of biofeedback therapy in individual clinics or medical centers and hospitals. Their sessions typically last up to 60 mins. Positive outcomes may be prominent after 10 sessions or above.
The procedure occurs with the doctors attaching the electrodes to a person and viewing its readings on the monitor. The conclusions made here include physiological responses like muscle contraction made during a headache. They then supply these to the person in an auditory and visual fashion.
They generate these suggestions through beeping sounds or flashlights. By realizing what functions cause an individual’s muscles to tense, the person can maneuver their responses correctly to ward off the discomfort.
The subsequent step is to prompt physical changes in the body, such as relaxation. By setting this in motion, a person can relieve their muscles and let go of the apprehension.
MERITS OF BIOFEEDBACK THERAPY
This technique serves to treat several medical conditions. People have presented a proclivity to biofeedback therapy as it eliminates the employment of antibiotics. Medicines can often be detrimental to a person. Its other advantages are:
1) Biofeedback therapy can relieve chronic pains. It can identify distinct muscle groups and reinforce them. Body parts like the lower back, abdomen, and body joints can all collectively benefit from its prudence. It is reasonable for all age groups impartially.
2) Another added advantage is relieving migraine pains. Headaches can be exceedingly pesky and refrain people from performing competently. By relieving muscle tension, biofeedback therapy assuages stress and is valuable in combination with medicines.
3) It makes relieving anxiety possible because a person can now govern their bodily responses.
4) This form of treatment can curb urinary incontinence. It can weaken the urge to use the washroom. Many children who could help to wet the bed have also benefited from it.
5) The biggest advantage offered here is that it has no demerits.
The reason people are preferably opting for biofeedback therapy is that antibiotics leave a footprint on the body. While it is a temporary fix, in the long run, it can tarnish the body in one way or another. Besides, manipulating one’s body is a remarkably profitable tool in the long run. These treatments have long-lasting effects that are clear even after they finish the procedure.