People trying to take steps towards fitness always find it daunting at the beginning. But when they familiarize themselves with the kind of equipment they need to use; it becomes to adapt. Today, we will tell you all about yoga ball exercises for beginners and why they are beneficial for you.
Yoga Ball Exercises
Here are the five easy and common yoga ball exercises that will up your fitness game and make it fun:
1. 30-minute sit
Surprised that exercise can need you to simply sit? Well, this one is much better than sitting in your office chair. Sitting on top of a yoga ball needs the constant engagement of your core muscles to maintain balance.
To do this exercise, you need to place your feet flat on the ground and rest your buttocks to sit on it. You can try this exercise after you’re done with all other yoga or gym exercises. It will let you rest and also do the balancing exercise.
2. Ball marching
Once you’re used to the balancing position, you will also be able to move while sitting on the ball. To do this exercise you need to:
- Sit on it with feet kept in front and flat on the floor
- Lift the heels of either of your legs and keep toes on the floor. If you can lift your entire foot off the ground, it will show a better effect.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds and place your foot back on the floor.
- Switch the other heel/foot and repeat the exercise for 10 minutes
3. Ball squat
As you get used to the yoga ball, you can escalate the complexity of exercises. To do this one:
- You need to first know how to do squats
- Squats need you to straighten your legs after bending your knees and keeping them shoulder apart. It is similar to sitting on an invisible chair.
- Many beginners cannot squat for a long time, as long as they have a backrest
- You can use the yoga ball as a backrest and place it against the wall instead
- It makes the exercise slightly tougher than sticking the back to your wall and you have to balance the ball and also maintain the squat posture
4. Ball leg lift
The ball leg lift exercise is most challenging of all. It puts a lot of pressure on your core and leaves a good impact. To do this exercise you need to:
- Sit on the ground and right in front of the ball
- Rollback to rest your shoulders and head on the ball
- Put your hips and torso in the air keeping feet on the floor
- Raise your body straight and bend your knees at a 90-degree angle
- Lift one either of the leg off the ground and straighten until it is in level with the rest of the body
- Hold the posture for 10 seconds and then lower your leg
- Repeat the exercise 5 to 10 times with each leg
5. Sit up
Once your body is in a much better balancing state, you can start doing sit-ups with the ball. It is best if you have someone to supervise you because you can hurt yourself by falling. To do this exercise you need to:
- Sit on the yoga ball and keep your feet flat
- Cross your arms over the chest or hips
- Lean back onto a 45-degree angle and bend your hips. Raise your toes and don’t move your feet.
- Use the abdominal muscles to pull back into the sitting position and don’t lift your feet
- Repeat the exercise five times and increase eventually
Benefits of yoga ball exercises
There are plenty of reasons why a yoga ball is a piece of essential exercise equipment. Check out all the reasons why:
1. Enhances spine alignment
Since the ball isn’t stable, it needs your body to balance it. When you use the yoga ball, you force your spine to stay in balance. This, in turn, becomes an easy way to maintain better spinal health. Your body aligns itself and you have a better posture. It can also fight back pain and enhance flexibility.
2. Nurtures your body
The exercise ball makes you change body positions all the time. Thus, it reduces damage caused by prolonged hours of sitting in the same posture. It nurtures your organs and makes you agile.
3. Works on your abs
Your core or abdominal muscles compensate for the change of balance. Thus, a yoga ball makes you go through low-key ab exercises. You might not think it is too much, but you actually end up strengthening your abs.
4. Improves circulation
An exercise ball makes your blood flow to every part of the body. Although it is a natural process, the circulation reduces when you are sedentary for a long time.
5. Adds energy
The ball makes you move and change quick postures. Thus, you stay more active and energetic by making use of it. With regular usage of an exercise ball, you will realize how you don’t feel fatigued after a long day at work.
6. Can burn around 350 calories
If you work with the ball for a long time and keep changing your movements, you can burn a lot of calories. Although it is not one of the high-intensity workout equipment, you can lose 350 calories at the most. It might not make you lose weight within a few weeks, but it will make you fit.
Yoga balls are really cheap compared to heavy machines at a gym. It can be a part of your home workout regimen and you won’t have to pay more than $15. If you buy a branded one, it can cost you $80 at the most.
8. It is fun
We cannot help but admit that the exercises you do with a yoga ball are way more fun to do. Once you can balance your body on it, you will have a lot of fun pushing yourself towards more challenges.
It is time you add this ball of fun and happiness to your exercise regimen and make the most of its benefits!