Going to the salon every time you need to remove your nail polish can be taxing. Wouldn’t it be great if you could just do it yourself, sitting in the comfort of your home? At other times, you might find yourself in a situation of emergency, where you do not have any time or means to go to the salon; at such times, it is good to know how to remove gel nail polish while keeping your nails and skin safe.
Some of us have this very bad habit of picking at or scratching the nail polish once it starts coming off. No matter how satisfying the process is, it causes exceptional damage to the nails. Scratching gel polish from the nails causes the crown coat of the nail bed to come out too. This weakens the nails and leads to breakage.
If you want to know how to remove gel nail polish safely, you have come to the right place. Here we will discuss the various ways that we can use to remove gel nail polish at home. You can have a fair idea about the materials that are needed for the procedure and accordingly improvise as per your specific requirements.
How to Take Off Gel Nail Polish at Home
There are times and situations when you want to remove your nail polish at your home, watching television or Netflix. Let us discuss some simple steps through which you will learn how to remove gel nail polish comfortably at home.
1. Look for an airy and ventilated space
The first step is to look for a well-ventilated space to avoid breathing in all the acetone. Breathing in acetone is harmful to your health. So make sure your room is well ventilated before you start the process of removing your nail polish.
2. Grab your nail filer
Grab your nail filer and try to wear off the shiny polish on your nails. Beware of not exerting too much pressure. The idea is to gently scrub the uppermost coating of your nail so that the polish breaks into fragments. If you apply to much pressure, you will scrub off the inner layers of your nail, making it weaker.
3. Coat some oil
Protect the skin of your fingers when you are preparing for removing your nail polish. Coat your fingers with some coconut oil and then proceed to remove with acetone. Acetone makes the skin very dry. Therefore to keep your nail skin hydrated; it is suggested to dip your fingers in some oil.
4. Soak cotton balls with acetone
Cotton balls are very useful in removing nail polish as they are almost the size of our fingers. Take ten cotton balls and soak them in acetone. Use one cotton ball to cover one nail. Replicate the course for each finger.
5. Aluminum foil for wrapping your fingers
Before you soak your cotton balls, cut small squares from an aluminum foil. Cut ten small squares for each finger. After you have wrapped up your fingers with the acetone steeped cotton balls, take these aluminum foil squares and wrap each of your fingers along with the cotton balls. Keep your fingers wrapped for about ten to fifteen minutes.
6. Hydrate your nails
After fifteen minutes, pull off the foil wraps and gently apply pressure to remove the gel nail polish from your nails. If you notice some patches remaining, repeat the soaking process for another ten minutes. Acetone dries out the skin as well as your nail. Dip them in water for five minutes to regain hydration.
How to Remove Gel Nail Polish without Foil
Removing gel nail polish without foil is not impossible or difficult. It is actually quite easy. The function of foil is to hold the soaked cotton balls in the proper place. You can obviously try and get rid of your gel nail polish with no use of foil paper. Let us discuss how to remove gel nail polish without foil.
1. Ventilated space
As discussed earlier, breathing in acetone is very harmful to health. Therefore, make sure to execute the removing process in a well-ventilated area.
2. Nail filer
By using your nail filer, gently rub the uppermost coating of your nail to scrub off the top shining coat of your nail polish. Do not apply too much pressure or you may damage the inner layers of your nail and they will break.
Rub your fingers in some coconut oil before you start applying acetone for removing your nail polish.
4. Cotton Balls
Soak ten cotton balls in acetone. Soak them for about thirty seconds. Use one cotton ball for each finger. After they are soaked with acetone, start rubbing your nails. Exert a significant amount of pressure to forcefully remove the gel nail polish from your nail. Keep on rubbing your nails until the nail polish wears out.
5. Nail Stick
After you have rubbed off all the nail polish from your nails, use a nail stick to finely remove the nail polish. Use this stick to remove the polish from the skin surrounding your nail and other areas. Gently rub the stick to remove the gel nail polish.
Acetone Nail Polish Remover
The nail polish removers that are available in the market are mainly of two kinds: acetone and non-acetone. The label outside the container of the remover usually mentions if it is acetone-based or not. Acetone is a very powerful solvent that is used to take off gel nail polish or oil from the nails. If you are wondering how to remove gel nail polish, acetone is the most reliable solution.
Acetone is colorless and has a characterizing smell. The spirit in the acetone removers works to dissolve the hard layers of painted polish from the nails. Acetone can be used to remove nail polish very quickly and easily. You just need to take a cotton swab dipped in acetone and rub it gently over your nails to start seeing the difference.
However, acetone nail polish removers have a number of side effects. Acetone, for example, causes excessive dryness to the cuticles as well as the skin that is exposed to it. So much so that you will find the skin turn white out of dryness, when you use too much of acetone on it.
Dangers of Acetone Nail Polish Remover
Acetone used in nail polish removers can cause significant damage to your body. Though nail polish removers contain very low quantities of acetone, they can still have major consequences. So, how to remove gel nail polish with acetone, without getting affected by its side-effects? You simply need to follow a few instructions and take enough precautions to protect your body from the harmful effects of acetone. Some of the harmful effects of acetone nail polish remover are given below:
1. Irritation in the Nasal Passage
Smelling the acetone in nail polish removers can give you irritation in the nasal passage as well as your throat.
2. Triggers Asthma
Coming in contact with acetone nail polish removers can trigger asthma attacks and can get fatal. People with chronic asthma must stay away from acetone nail polish removers.
3. Induces Nausea and Vomiting
Being exposed to acetone nail polish remover for a long period of time can make you sick by inducing nausea and vomiting tendencies.
4. Irritation in the Eyes
Acetone is volatile and can cause irritation in your eyes, while you are applying the remover on your nails. Protect your eyes with sunglasses, when using acetone-based nail polish removers.
5. Fragile Nails
Acetone nail polish removers are not healthy for the nails. They make them brittle and soft; also make them lose their luster.
How to Remove Gel Nail Polish without Acetone
Despite the ease of using acetone-based nail polish removers, some of us would prefer to try out an alternative process that does not involve this amount of harm or side-effects. There are other non-acetone nail polish removers that are made of ethyl acetate. Non-acetone polish removers are less potent than acetone but are gentler on the skin and nails.
If you want to know how to remove gel nail polish without using acetone polish removers, just follow these three steps:
1. Use a Filer
As your nails grow, some of the gel paint will come off from the topmost part of your nail. In such cases or in situations, where you need to remove your gel nail polish immediately without acetone, use a filer gently over the layer of the paint to take off the upper layer of the paint from your nails.
2. Use a Peeler
Gel nail polish tends to peel off within a few days of applying. In such situations, you need to use your cuticle stick. Place the stick at the bottom of your nail (where it has started peeling off) and apply a little pressure to completely peel off the rest of the nail paint.
3. Hydrate and Moisturize
Once you have successfully taken off the gel nail polish from your nails, remember to hydrate your nails and skin. Soak your fingers in lukewarm water and apply cuticle oil on your nails. Moisturize the skin around your nails to keep them healthy and shiny.
How to Remove Gel Nail Polish from Acrylic Nails
- Maintaining acrylic nails can be a hefty task. You need to take regular care of your acrylic nails to prevent them from chipping, discoloring or even nail infections. How to remove gel nail polishfrom acrylic nails, when most of the nail polish removers contain acetone? Acetone is a very powerful solvent that is used to dissolve acrylic paints. Therefore, using acetone-based nail polish removers on your acrylic nails can damage them potentially.
- There are two different methods that can be used to remove gel nail polish from acrylic nails.
- Use Non-Acetone Nail Polish Remover
- Use a Nail File
Non-Acetone Nail Polish Remover
- Acetone is strong enough to dissolve acrylics and should never be used on acrylic nails. You can get hold of a non-acetone based nail polish remover, which is relatively gentler on the acrylic nails and will prevent them from getting damaged.
- You will need some cotton balls to apply the non-acetone nail polish remover to your acrylic nails. Soak the cotton balls in the liquid so that it holds enough amounts of the solvent. You can replace the cotton balls with pieces of surgical gauze to make the process less messy.
- To remove the polish you need to press the remover soaked cotton on top of your nail and hold it like that for some time. Then gently wipe off the paint by rubbing the cotton against your nail.
- For best results, keep changing the cotton balls with fresh ones. Once the cotton balls get tainted with your old polish, they may not work very well. It is best to replace the dirty cotton balls with new ones to avoid dragging on your acrylic nails.
- To remove your nail polish by filing off the paint, you need to have a nail file. Remember that the nail file should be appropriately textured so that it causes friction against the polish and takes off the paint.
- Keep rubbing the nail file over your gel nail polish, maintaining a single direction. You will need to move the filer to the different parts of your nail to take off the polish evenly.
- Once you are done removing nail polish from one nail, repeat the same process on the rest of your nails. This can take some time but will successfully take off all the paint without damaging your acrylic nails.
- Apply generous quantities of cuticle oil your acrylic nails so that they do not lose their shine. Using a nail file on your acrylic nail can affect the texture. You should arrange for a salon treatment or manicure as soon as it is possible for you.
Now that you have some of the best ways to do up your nails, it is time you make them look pretty!